The Union of Northern Workers is a leading advocate for social, political, economic and environmental justice.
We work in partnership in the North with the Public Service Alliance of Canada North, our sister Yukon Employees Union and Nunavut Employees Union and the Northern Territories Federation of Labour. We are a partner in the national actions of the PSAC and the Canadian Labour Congress.
Advocacy and political action includes:
- Education of Members on workers’ rights, and support for political action through campaign schools, election activities and programs
- Public advocacy through media relations, events and demonstrations, lobbying of federal, territorial and municipal political leaders
- Partnership in advocacy with NWT social justice organizations
The Union of Northern Workers takes an active role in lobbying for progressive action on:
- Workplace Issues, including health and safety, access to child care, Day of Mourning, domestic violence at work and pay equity
- Human Rights and Equality issues, including women’s equality, Aboriginal rights, gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gendered rights, visible minorities, disabilities and young workers
- Environmental issues, including chemical hazards and cancer prevention, climate change and energy and Social and Economic Issues
- Social and economic justice through government budget analysis and lobbying on issues including health and Medicare, labour and migration, pensions & retirement, training and apprenticeship, unemployment insurance and the role of unions